__________Appreciate the little things in life.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Signing off!

Your SpeakUp Borneo 2.0 Project Director signing off!!!

Appreciation post, for saying a thank you for myself that took a small action few months ago.

Without that small action (for filling up the google form to step up as a PD), I would still remain the old ignorant Aki. I may or may not have grown, but I know in these few months, I did more than I expected.

Milestone achieved: Reason why did I joined AIESEC.

I always said that I want to work on projects especially on education is because I see how important education is to a person's life. Little did I know throughout the preparation process I kept getting lost.
The journey was not easy to be frank. I was always lost. I kept losing the reason why I wanted to continue working on projects, especially when there was much more negative and not supportive comments.
Things was not easy when there was the workload, the complicated procedure and also how hopeless it did get. For not be able to continue the contract with our last school, for having to find a new school all again, for not getting enough applicants for the project, for arranging all my free time to interview EPs, and for not getting the number of EPs we wanted.
Things got worse when I suddenly felt everything was not that important. I was not visiting schools and was all in a privilege life, enjoying things I have to the max, seeing social media with all comfortable life kids now are living. I started to feel that all of those doesn't matters anymore and maybe... the schools just don't need us.

Huge thanks to my project team members, for always staying by my side, helping me in all ways they can. I don't know what push them to continue working, but one of my reason for not giving up is I don't want to fail them and I shouldn't be working less than them too.
They were always more worrying than I do, seeing things that I don't foresee, spending more time and effort to make the project an even more successful one. As I am always the happy-go-lucky kind, I don't usually get worry or tense up when there is a problem (not that I don't care, I have seen the worse) which sometimes might not be that good.

I was in UK when the project just started. There was so many problems arising and I was not there to be a... mental support(?) for the team. As there was a huge time difference between both countries, I usually waited until midnight for the team members to wake up, have a brief update everyday in the morning from them before I sleep. So my life in UK was actually... not that healthy and normal too ._. Thanks to my team members back in Miri that did not give up no matter how worse the situation was, I am glad to have them when I needed them most and I HOPE I WON'T FORGET THIS IN THE FUTURE TOO THEY ARE ANGELS IN MY LIFE.

There was once when I flew to Brussels for a one day trip but ended up half of my day on my phone.
So I was so excited, ready to explore a new country all in a day.
Things turned out not that well when I got a message from my Egypt EPs saying that they did not flew from KL to Miri in the morning. That time Miri was already midnight and my team members were waiting in the airport all tired.
I was so angry and confused at that time, randomly went into a coffee shop and texted the two Egypt EPs, texted their EPmanager, and even talked to their OGV VP. That was how I spent the whole morning in a coffee shop arranging stupid stuffs like this when I was supposed to go around the city, the country.
Funny thing was after I came out from the coffee shop, we went drinking early morning. I was a bit drunk I guess, and I texted a VERY LOOOOONG message scolding the EPs EPM and VP for being such irresponsible. I mean... they were really unreasonable ._.
I lied when I say how I'll remember Brussels as a beautiful city with waffles and beer. All I can remember was me being on my phone trying to solve problems at the other side of the world, scolding random people and can't really help anything XD

After I went back to Miri, more problems arose. It was the start of the semester and I was kinda sorting out my life (?) Life was a huge mess but trust me, when I see my EPs there, which I started from interviewing them through a laptop screen and now in front of me, far from their own country, I know I have to make their 6weeks life-changing, at least fruitful.
No matter how tired I was, I knew that I have my small SpeakUp family that will always be by my side and this made me felt so safe. You guys never know how much you meant to me!!!

We had a lot of fun, ups and downs, random outings, small meals after a long day, preparing for events, Impact Showcase then Global Village, I was really enjoying myself spending time with them no matter how tiring it is.

Trip to Marudi behind a Hilux

midnight movie watching Anabelle

squeezing in a car for lunch LOL

sending off Leon TT

Dinner at PP

Sending off Nicole TT

Global Village!!!

Movie night, again.

I remember when I was going to pay back one of my local volunteer his transportation fee, he told me to keep it as this three weeks worth much more than the 40 ringgit. He was a shy person that does not like joining events, but his journey made him learnt and grew a lot than he can imagine.
My Japan EP told me that she did not want to choose an education project but this is the only project that starts from August. Slowly through the project, she found her life goal (IKR!) and found what she wants to do in the future. I can tell how much she grew from a girl that can only talk slowly and shyly until a bright and proactive one before she left. She even proposed to me that she wanted to do fundraising to buy dictionaries for the students in the rural area. During the one week school holidays, two of the EPs went into an even more rural area school to volunteered to teach the students there. (This was not even in their job scope and I did not expect this too!)
My Morocco EP told me that she is the only girl in her family and was always the princess of her brothers. She was the first one to travel out from her country by herself and this shocked her whole family as she was always the quiet girl since young. Thanks for always being helpful and thoughtful when I was in a bad and awkward situation.
Aaaaand my Tunisia EP told me he had wasted 21 years of his life when we were having a deep talk.

All of these are unexpected and little did I know that my small actions and efforts actually make such a great change in their lives, and this really do mean a lot to me. The school had a lot of positive feedback too and were so welcoming when we went visit there, they were treating the EPs so well and I can't be more grateful for things to go well in this way.

Really hope that this project can go on for a long time in the future, creating a huge impact to Marudi. Please work harder to send more EPs there!!

I will definitely miss my small Speak Up family, my small Marudi town, crazy things we do, stupid quarrels and fights we had, and all those small moments that we had together. I DID NOT REGRET A SINGLE THING <3


No comments:

Post a Comment