__________Appreciate the little things in life.

Monday, December 17, 2018



It's my third week of internship.
I got into an oil and gas company, which was one of the top8 list I had.


It is a dream come true, I have to say.
Getting in one of the top companies is my goal, and it turned out being a very good one training interns too.
I got to do presentation, I need to learn about the whole company. I was spending a lot of my time talking to engineers in different disciplines. Everyone was doing very professional works, and everyone is just very enthusiast in solving problems. When I asked about their disciplines, they replied me immediately and made me meet them, introducing me and taught me so many things about the upstream field, showing me projects they are working on and some just spent more than an hour just to make me familiar.
Other than that, I have a technical task to work on. I have a supervisor and he asked me to do research on two technologies and come out with a report for him. I thought it was just a random topic until one morning I was suddenly asked to join a meeting with vendors from the outside, with people from Norway and the UK, then I realized it is for a project they are working on.
It felt magical. I did not expect myself doing something such important, and I am so glad I was given the chance.


The company is also amazing in its working culture.
We have very flexible working time: in and out at whenever time, as long as we finish 40 hours work a week. There was one Friday I left at 12pm and went out to meet my friend. Weekend felt like three days!
On my first day to work, I got my own desk, my monitor, a huge set of stationaries, and my own desk phone (which I did not expect that I actually used it quite a lot alrdy HAHA)
The people here are also very helpful, very caring and always ready to teach. There was a few times where I bumped into people in the pantry or the washroom, and people just walked up to greet me "Are you the new intern?" or "Are you Siah Qi?" and started to ask things about me.
They are always helpful in teaching me useful things, that is useful in the future. From what information and knowledge I get to learn about the upstream oil and guess field, to what companies that I can apply, and even interview tips for the future. There was one day where I left home late and someone just walked to my desk and taught me to access the company's library for more things I can read on when I'm free. Thinking that they have so many things to work on, and they still spend time caring and teaching me, I just can't be more grateful!


Seeing stories posted on my ig, a lot of people came to ask about my company.
Funny enough is that the company is currently having only me as the intern coming in at this time, and the pay is quite okay comparing to the allowance the other companies offer me.
Going around the company I still get questions like "Do you know someone in the company to get a placement here?" and that makes me more grateful for getting this offer! I know I have to work even harder to reach theirs and my expectation.


The company is currently working on new projects, and seeing people so passionate working everyday makes me love more about what I am learning and I somehow just can't wait to start working (although I still prefer studying and being stress free financially lol).


Imagine living in a big city I always hope for, staying with Zoe and going to work together, taking care of each other. She is working very hard for her job right now, working so much more hours than I do, and even spend her evenings at home working. Seeing her being so passionate and work so hard for her job is just so inspiring everyday!
I will definitely miss the drives back home everyday, where we share on what we are currently doing about our job, although it is two different worlds, it feels amazing listening to stories and also how different we are.
Also the last time we were staying together for a long period was 5 years ago, where I was sitting for my PMR and she was sitting for SPM. We spent so much time supporting each other, studying together and went through so much together too at that time. 5 years later, it feels amazing that both of us started working, being part of the adult society, still as close.
This is definitely something we couldn't imagine 5 years ago. I am also very glad it is Zoe who is the one together with me, motivating and inspiring me with what she is doing. I love LOVE looooove how we are growing and becoming a better person together <3 (and Bii too, I need to mention her more, she is even amazing <33333

No comments:

Post a Comment